Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finalizing, "A Matter of Days"

Well, this is it.

My first ever blog about the amazing world of audio book production! That's semi-sarcastic because, while I know that I love what I do, I wonder how many out there will have the same interest in the work as I do.

For that unknown quantity, I intend to offer a bit more than just technical commentary. The thought processes on every thing from which books I'm producing (and why), to how I'm using effects and music.

Ah, but let me back up a bit. My name is Luke. By the grace of God, I'm alive and able to serve Him.

I'm an audio book producer, married to my lovely wife Sarah, with one beautiful little girl, Wilke Lynn. I'm the (prodigal, but more on that later) son of novelists Brock and Bodie Thoene, pronounced TAY-NEE. Some of you may already know that I used to write books myself... my brother Jake and I co-authored nine children's and young-adult fiction books together. Since then, I've done so many things... I became a teacher, a radio journalist, a publicist and, all the while, a composer for the audio books being produced of my parent's works.

From that experience, I grew into producing the audio books myself and now, here I am: A full fledged, Audie-winning audio book producer, now getting more offers than I thought existed. But the best ones, in my opinion, are still the ones I have to fight for. Like, A Matter of Days the one I'm finishing now.

If you've never heard of the book, buy it... read it. Or wait a month and listen to it. It will change the way you view our common faith in this crazy world. Dr. Hugh Ross is the author, an astronomer who's made it his life's work to reconcile biblical teaching on creation, with the observable facts of nature. Awesome stuff.

The most basic of the points made in the book is that the Hebrew word for "Day" - yom - can mean any span of time with a definite beginning and ending. In other words, when Genesis tells us that the universe and earth was created in six days, it doesn't have to mean six 24-hour days. Rather, it can mean eons, just like science tells us is the case!

But the book is so much more than just that... When I first started reading it, I came across that point in one of the earliest chapters, and thought it was enough to engage in a discussion of the issue with someone (who I treasure dearly as a brother in Christ), who I know is a young-earth creationist. And he said, "If it took God 6 periods of billions of years each to create the universe and earth, doesn't that make him less than all-powerful?"

Good point, I thought... back to the book. The answer, of course, is that any amount of time would be too long. Six days, six hours, six minutes, seconds, nano-seconds... ANY length of time, if it "took" God that long, that is, if he couldn't do it any faster than that, would make Him "less than all-powerful." But, as the author states, God is under no compulsion to exercise all of His power all of the time. Just like a runner, capable of a four-minute-mile, might for any reason, known only to himself, choose to walk a mile in sixteen minutes instead. So, for whatever reason, God chose to create the universe and earth, over the course of 14 or 15 billion years.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. SO, now we can all face modern science boldly, confident that our Christian Faith stands up to it, indeed supported by it!

Cool cool stuff. When I finished it (the first time), I realized I had to produce it.

Having spent the last week in the studio with the incomparable, inimitable, indomitable reader Tom O'Malley, I'm now in the final editing stages. After Dr. Ross's organization, Reasons To Believe (RTB), has a chance to review the audio in July, we're planning an early August release - for just 20 bucks.

In the meantime, check out our other audio books for download, including 2009 Audie Award Winner Prague Counterpoint. Available exclusively at FamilyAudioLibrary.Com Your exclusive online source for Christian audio books. Who Are You Listening To? tm

And To learn more about Dr. Ross and Reasons to Believe Ministries, click here.

All the best to you and yours. Thanks for reading (and listening). God bless!

-Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment